NortonLifeLock Trademark Usage Guidelines
NortonLifeLock considers its trademarks to be among its most valuable intellectual property assets. NortonLifeLock asks that you assist us in protecting our brand by following these Trademark Usage Guidelines (the "Guidelines"). Except for the limited right to use as expressly permitted under these Guidelines, no other rights of any kind are granted hereunder, by implication or otherwise. If you have any questions about the Guidelines, please direct them to email@example.com.
These Guidelines are for NortonLifeLock affiliates, licensees, authorized resellers, partners, and other third parties interested in using NortonLifeLock's trademarks, service marks, or trade names (collectively "NortonLifeLock trademarks"). NortonLifeLock trademarks are in various forms and include words, logos, designs, slogans, colors, product shapes, product packaging, and sounds. Our trademarks include all registered or unregistered trademarks, including but not limited to those trademarks listed on the NortonLifeLock Trademark List. Most of the trademarks are either: “word marks” (e.g., NORTON) or “design marks” or “logos” (e.g., the CheckMark Logo).
Third-party affiliates, licensees, partners, and resellers who have a current agreement providing authority to sell or promote NortonLifeLock products and services should refer to specific trademark usage guidelines provided in their agreement. If the agreement does not include trademark usage guidelines, then follow these guidelines.
Prohibited Uses of NortonLifeLock Trademarks
- Do Not Use Trademarks in the Name of Your Company, Products, Or Services. You may not use or register in any jurisdiction any NortonLifeLock trademarks as all or part of your company, product, or service name.
- Do Not Use Trademarks as a Domain Name or Social Media Presence. Unless expressly authorized by NortonLifeLock, you may not use or register a domain name or social media handle or presence that incorporates any NortonLifeLock trademark.
- Do Not Use Trademarks as AdWords. Unless expressly authorized by NortonLifeLock, NortonLifeLock trademarks may not be used as or in connection with Google AdWords, Microsoft Advertising or any other similar online advertising service.
- Do Not Use Trademarks in False or Misleading Advertising. Every use of the trademarks must be truthful and not misleading and may not imply any relationship with, or endorsement or sponsorship by NortonLifeLock that is not true.
- Do Not Use Logos Without Permission. You may not use any NortonLifeLock logos unless you have an agreement with or express written consent from NortonLifeLock authorizing such use.
Permissible Uses of NortonLifeLock Trademarks
- Accurate References to NortonLifeLock Products or Services. Except for the NortonLifeLock logos (the use of which must be expressly authorized), you generally may use NortonLifeLock trademarks to refer to NortonLifeLock’s products or services in advertising, promotional, and sales materials, provided that you have the necessary authority to sell or promote NortonLifeLock's products or services.
- Compatibility with NortonLifeLock Products or Services. You may indicate the relationship of your products and services to NortonLifeLock’s products or services by using an accurate referential phrase in connection with your product or service (e.g., “for use with,” “compatible with”) provided that: (a) the NortonLifeLock trademark appears less prominent than your product or service name; (b) the NortonLifeLock trademark is not a part of or incorporated in your product or service name; and (c) the referential phrase is accurate and complies with the requirements set forth in any agreement with NortonLifeLock.
- Publications, Seminars, and Conferences. You may display or refer to NortonLifeLock word marks in the titles or subject matter of books, magazines, periodicals, seminars, and conferences, subject to the following requirements:
- The use of the NortonLifeLock word mark is referential and necessary because it is germane to the subject matter of the publication, seminar, or conference;
- The use does not damage NortonLifeLock’s reputation or goodwill in its trademarks and reflects positively on NortonLifeLock Inc., its products, services, and technology;
- Your name, logo, trademarks, or trade name are displayed more prominently than the NortonLifeLock word mark on all materials in connection with the publication, seminar, or conference;
- You conspicuously disclaim any and all sponsorship, affiliation, or endorsement by NortonLifeLock, on all publications and/or materials in connection with the publication, seminar, or conference in the following format: "[Title] is an independent [publication, seminar, or conference] with no affiliation to, nor authorized, sponsored or otherwise approved by NortonLifeLock Inc."
- You provide a trademark attribution notice providing notice that NortonLifeLock is the owner of its trademarks.
Please note that you may not use NortonLifeLock logo marks in Publications, Seminars and Conferences unless you have an agreement with or express written consent from NortonLifeLock authorizing such use.
Proper Usage of NortonLifeLock Trademarks
Proper usage of NortonLifeLock trademarks is important for their continued protection and aids consumers who depend upon NortonLifeLock’s products and services. All authorized parties should follow these guidelines whenever they use NortonLifeLock trademarks.
- Do Not Alter NortonLifeLock Trademarks. Trademarks should be used consistently and should not be altered. For example, do not vary the appearance of NortonLifeLock trademarks by abbreviating them, using improper capitalization, incorporating them into acronyms, changing their spelling, or adding words or design elements to the trademarks. The NortonLifeLock Trademark List provides the proper spelling and capitalization for each trademark.
For logo marks, use only the approved master artwork provided by NortonLifeLock. Approved logos can be downloaded from the NortonLifeLock Digital Asset Gallery. Do not alter or distort the appearance of the logo in anyway, for example, by adding your own design elements or colors or changing the font, proportions or colors. The logo must always look sharp, clean, and well produced. Always allow for a minimum clear space around the NortonLifeLock logo and never reproduce the logo in a manner that causes the logo to become illegible or blurry, which may happen if the logo is reproduced too small. Finally, do not use the NortonLifeLock logo marks as decorative devices.
- Use Trademarks As Adjectives. Trademarks are adjectives and should be followed by the generic term they modify. In the first use, and then as often as reasonable and whenever possible, use any NortonLifeLock trademarks as an adjective followed by the generic noun that it describes, such as “software,” “product,” “subscription,” or “service.” Avoid use of NortonLifeLock trademarks as nouns, verbs, or in the possessive or plural form.
- Use Proper Trademark Notice Symbols. Trademark notice symbols (the TM (™) or Circle R (®)) are a way for brands to give notice to the public of those word and design marks it claims exclusive ownership. Proper trademark notice symbols should be used with all NortonLifeLock trademarks, which can be found on the NortonLifeLock Trademark List.
- The appropriate symbol should appear immediately following the mark and should appear in superscript.
- In written materials, the appropriate symbol should be used with the first or most prominent appearance of the NortonLifeLock trademark.
- The appropriate symbol also should be used on each subsequent page if the topic is different or if the pages can be separated and distributed independently.
- When in doubt, do not leave the trademark notice symbol out.
- Use Proper Trademark Attribution Statement. All marketing collateral, advertisements, product packaging, webpages, manuals, and studies that include NortonLifeLock trademarks also must include the proper trademark attribution statement crediting ownership of the trademarks to NortonLifeLock. Typically, the attribution statement is displayed at the end of the material, in the footer of the document, or on the back of the package. The correct trademark attribution statement depends on which trademarks were used in the collateral. Use the template below to customize for your specific asset.
Trademark Attribution Statement Template:
NortonLifeLock, the NortonLifeLock Logo, the Checkmark Logo, Norton, LifeLock, and the LockMan Logo and [if applicable and if space permits, you may add any other trademarks found on the NortonLifeLock Trademark List that are referred to or displayed in the document] [is/are] trademark[s] or registered trademark[s] of NortonLifeLock Inc. or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries.
Usage Rules for NortonLifeLock as a Trade Name
NortonLifeLock functions not only as a trademark identifying goods and services offered by NortonLifeLock Inc., but also as a trade name or company name referring to NortonLifeLock Inc. Trade names are nouns and, therefore, should not be followed by a generic descriptor and may be used in the possessive form. When used as a trade name, "NortonLifeLock" should not be followed by a trademark symbol. Within documents, the first reference to the trade or company name should be "NortonLifeLock Inc." "NortonLifeLock" can be used for subsequent references. Conversely, when NortonLifeLock is used to refer to specific products, services, or programs, the ™ symbol should be used per the above guidelines and should be followed by a generic noun.
Misuse of NortonLifeLock Trademarks
If you learn of any uses of any logos, icons, or images that are confusingly similar to the NortonLifeLock trademarks, please notify NortonLifeLock by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Similarly, if you become aware of any use of a NortonLifeLock trademark that violates any of the rules described above, please notify us at email@example.com. If possible, please provide a copy of the trademark violation.
If you have encountered a Norton Secured Seal that is used incorrectly, please report it to DigiCert Support here.